Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Little Fun

I was lucky enough, health wise and getting passes wise, to go to ComicCon in New York this year on Friday, October 11, 2013.

How do you explain ComicCon?!

It is the best time you can ever have - EVER!

I would like to tell you about my day, and all of the great people I met. I would also love to share some pictures from that day here on my blog.

I will be doing this in a separate post. So stay tuned!

But first - I was lucky enough, at NYComicCon, to win two books that are not available to the public yet. Their descriptions are up on Goodreads, so I was able to review them there. But I would like to put the reviews here, or I should say the one review, I am still reading the other book. I just want to be clear, I did not have to sign anything that said I had to keep the contents of either book a secret, and I was not told that I could not talk about the books. I have great respect for privacy and for unwritten rules. I am not giving away spoilers of course. I just wanted to have some fun today! And I want you to have some fun and a laugh too! I want you all to check this out and put it on your "To Read" list.

The first book I won is based on a popular comic strip called "Zits".

The book is titled "Zits Shredded" by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman. It is due to be released in February 18, 2014 in paperback. Also available for Kindle on the same date.

You can pre-order it on Amazon at the link provided below.

http://www.amazon.com/Zits-Shredded-Jerry-Scott-ebook/dp/B00DB367CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384221402&sr=8-1&keywords=zits+shredded




Okay you may think I am nuts giving four stars to this book, when I have given award winning authors four stars. But, this was the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

Clearly for teenagers - but if you do not enjoy it I suggest you get your funny bone checked.

It is about three friends that go on a road trip. So many funny things happen I do not even know where to start! These teens are some smart cookies and that is what makes the book so funny. The author made it an easy read, and made it read like a teenager wrote it. But again, the humor was unmistakable.

The book is about Jeremy, Hector and Pierce, best friends and bandmates, as they head out on a road trip to return his grandmother's pilates machine to her. But these kids have other plans. Not a straight drive to grams and back, but a stop off- or two or three. I am not going to tell you for what you have to read the book to find that out. But the major stop involves something mentioned at the beginning of the book where the boy's girlfriends rope them into a community service project for school. But it is a requirement! The girls did most of the work and the boys had only ONE job.

Read as they so nearly, so many times, almost botch the whole project and the idea behind it- that THEY alone are responsible for- while getting the pilates machine back to grams.

Oh and did I mention that Jeremy's parents are out of town at an awards dinner for Jeremy's father? And mom and dad just know Jeremy is going to his grandmothers and back? No road trip mentioned. So the great thing is, with all of the twists and turns and roadblocks, do the guys make it home before mom and dad? Because mom and dad know exactly how long it takes to get to grandmas.

Do they save the day with their part of the fundraiser?

Pick this book up for a quick, really funny read. You will not regret it.

Oh and the illustrations? AMAZING!! The illustrations make the story even better. There is one or more on every page. Nothing too crazy. Just enough to give you an idea about the situation. High praise to the illustrator.

I do not have a little fancy or cute system of rating my books yet. It is on the horizon. But I did give this 4 stars (out of 5) at http://goodreads.com

I hope you will pre-order it or at least look into it, and when it comes out, purchase it and have yourself a good old fashion laugh or two or three!


No comments:

Post a Comment